If you’re ready for a career doing meaningful work with a discernible impact, keep reading. The Salvation Army is looking for an Email Marketing Specialist
to join our team and support our brand promise to Do the Most Good®.
May consider position being remote or a hybrid of in office and remote.
The Email Marketing Specialist will develop fundraising and cultivation emails focusing on content, deployment, and analysis for the Central Territory of The Salvation Army, increasing online giving, acquisition and engagement through email. This position works closely with our digital agency along with divisional digital teams to develop, strengthen, and coordinate best practices for email marketing and cross-platform content strategy. This role integrates online and offline messaging with development marketing efforts to enhance donor experience, acquisition, cultivation and retention, while determining lifetime value (LTV).
Execution, Brand and Creative (35%)
- Implement email integration with other marketing channels (eg. direct mail), in concert with national, territorial and divisional marketing, fundraising, public relations, social media, data management teams, other internal groups and all vendors or agencies.
- Develop and maintain a solid professional understanding of:
- Best practices in email marketing strategies, inside and outside The Salvation Army.
- Fundraising strategies and The Salvation Army (TSA) giving options including programs by all current vendors and future vendors.
- Responsible for staying up-to-date and adhering to federal and international charitable solicitation and giving guidelines.
- Develop and test innovative email marketing strategies to engage new audiences, ranging from students and young professionals to baby boomers, using audience-specific tactics that engage through volunteerism, social media, online project funding, and campaigns.
- Design and implement processes, systems, and procedures for efficient and effective online solicitation that are within approved policies and parameters.
- Explore ways to reach new constituent groups through email strategies and integrated promotions.
Brand And Creative
- Uphold and protect brand guidelines and content standards.
- Ensure fresh creative content focused on our external audience of current and potential donors and volunteers.
- Handle weekly email content revisions, sign off and test approvals with digital agency.
- Regularly view digital marketing efforts across all TSA territories for content and identify collaboration opportunities.
Email Building, Testing, Deployment and Monitoring (30%)
- Build, proof, and revise emails and templates in Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Work with divisions to develop effective local email messages that supplements the territory-wide messaging and grows their subscriber base engagement. This may include content writing and graphic design.
- Add subscriber-level personalization to emails and validate against a test group prior to sending. Ensure AMP Script is programmed to function upon deployment.
- Maintain established tracking protocols that ensure all revenue from direct-click in email is attributable to that digital channel and that tracking contains data relevant for analyzing campaign effectiveness down to the subscriber level.
- Perform quality assurance (QA) testing of emails prior to deployment to ensure proper rendering across email service providers, devices, etc.
- Deploy emails using automations, data extension, and AMP Script in Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Monitor deployments during their sending timeframe. Track deliverability and fix sending errors pre/post deployment.
Email Acquisition and Audience Development (15%)
- Direct our email acquisition efforts across the Central United States. Optimize and grow acquisition efforts via existing points of constituent contact (direct mail, volunteer registration, etc.).
- Work in partnership with our digital agency to manage paid acquisition efforts on social media (Facebook and Instagram).
- Identify geographic regions for growth in audience size and develop tactics to increase acquisition in those areas.
- Assist efforts to integrate and automate email opt-ins with our Salesforce CRM and reduce the time between opt-in and first deployment (Welcome Journey).
- Build audience segments using data extensions in Salesforce Marketing Cloud to ensure localized messages are targeted to those who meet necessary criteria.
- Utilize Salesforce, Excel and/or Access to modify and update subscriber lists and create segmentation groups as needed.
- Work with CRM team to add new subscribers on a regular basis to our database with appropriate flags to initiate email marketing. This includes pulling subscribers from non-automated acquisition points and some manual data review/cleansing.
- Collect data to gain insights, track the success of email marketing campaigns, and collaborate with Director of Digital Strategy and Engagement to optimize email strategies.
- Develop standardized metrics and reports to track and analyze all email marketing campaigns and report out on a regular basis. Partner with digital agency to leverage existing Tableau dashboard for reporting and insights.
- Use competitive analysis to continually refine the strategic email plan and report back to appropriate territorial and divisional team members to ensure a successful digital marketing program across the territory.
- Help evaluate, further develop, and maintain quality donor data management procedures as it relates to email marketing.
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- All other duties as assigned by the Territorial Director of Communications and the Territorial Director of Digital Strategy & Engagement.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent in marketing, communications, journalism, digital media or related field.
- Minimum three years’ experience with an Email Service Provider (such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Cheetah Mail, Silverpop, Responsys, Listrak, Lyris, Vertical Response, etc.) is required.
- Experience with Salesforce is preferred, including use of Marketing Cloud automations, data extensions, templates, branded content blocks and AMPScript, and Salesforce CRM tools.
- Experience with basic HTML (i.e., creating tables, links, and bolding) and graphic editing/creation in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop/Illustrator) is required.
- Experience with advanced HTML and web site analytics tools such as, Google and Adobe Analytics is a plus.
- Experience with email testing tools (such as Litmus/Email on Acid), fundraising platforms (such as Classy or similar), and Tableau a plus.
- Demonstrated writing/communication skills. Understanding of AP Style and ability to effectively proof content to be error free.
- Proven record for problem resolution and successful completion of complex projects. Project leadership experience a plus.
- Proficient with Mac and PC, and in Microsoft Office 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.).
The Salvation Army offers a competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, hearing, disability and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time-off and various discounts/perks.