Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at California Times, incorporating Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, two of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the California Times team is the place to be.
The Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune are looking for a passionate, agile, data-driven Manager, Email Marketing, to join our Consumer Marketing team.
The Consumer Marketing team is comprised of Retention, Acquisition, Operations, Paid Media, Brand, Creative and Print Marketers who all partner together to drive new subscriber acquisition and retention goals, in measurable ways.
This individual will oversee the strategy and build/manage email programs to grow our audience while increasing user engagement, retention and revenue. We’re looking for someone who can set up, deploy, test and report findings on both ad-hoc and automated trigger-based email marketing programs including: acquisition, onboarding, content promotion, engagement, retention and upsell programs. This person will also maintain database hygiene within our ESP, Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
The Manager, Email Marketing will also have the opportunity to partner with Data, Product, Marketing and Operations teams to establish new and optimize existing consumer journeys and execute campaigns to drive personalization and value for consumers.
The Email Marketing Manager is a hard-working, driven individual with impeccable attention to detail. Keeping current with industry innovations, trends, and best practices across functional areas is imperative to the role. The right person for this role is an excellent communicator and self-starter with strong attention to detail, is data-driven, is passionate about email marketing, and has the ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Manage email marketing campaigns including template designs, calls-to-action, and cadence
- Help grow email list with product, sales, and marketing teams
- Segment lists based on preferences and behaviors
- Utilize data to help optimize subscription conversions (from leads into subscribers) and improve engagement amongst subscribers
- Work closely with the Marketing Ops department to build, QA, and deploy campaigns accurately and on time
- Monitor deliverability of email marketing campaigns and adjust for optimal performance
- Own email marketing reporting and collaborate with the Data team to build dashboards to display key metrics for stakeholders to review
- Plan, implement and track A/B and multivariate tests
- Update and test lifecycle email marketing campaigns
- Work closely with Data to track and report on performance and insights amongst various audience segments
- Own the relationship with our ESP, Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- Ensure removal and/or suppression of bad email addresses and domains, hard bounces, complaints, and inactive subscribers
- Develop documentation and road maps for processes, A/B tests, and promotions that require email
- Find opportunities to improve the effectiveness of email and push marketing programs
- 5-10 years experience in email marketing, preferably in an online subscription business
- Experience with ExactTarget/Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- Extensive email deployment experience and understanding of QA processes
- Familiarity with responsive design and journey building
- Knowledge of email standard methodologies and deliverability
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS coding for email preferred
- High attention to detail, time management, and project management skills
- Data-driven, with the ability to read data, pull insights, and provide strategic recommendations
- Excellent verbal, social, and written communication skills
- Critical thinker who can make smart decisions
- Must be a team player with a results-oriented focused
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.